Summer Ensemble programs 2023
We are excited to be able to offer our 6th Annual Summer Ensemble Program to BSM students! This unique opportunity is designed to let students experience all different styles of music as well as rehearse and perform with talented professional instrumentalists. This year we are offering only one track: Chamber Strings. Find out more below!
What is the Summer Ensemble Program?
This summer-long program encourages students to explore different genres and styles of music that we don't usually spend a lot of time playing over the school year. Once pieces are selected, students will work on them in their private lessons over the summer. In August, BSM students will be joined by local professional musicians to rehearse for a final concert on August 14. These rehearsals will not only be lots of fun, but will allow students to interact with talented professionals and help them grow their own musical skills through having to learn to play alongside others. This is a fantastic skill to have, and one that not many young pianists get!
Requirements for Participation:
1) Students must have taken private lessons for at least 1 year.
2) Students must be able to take at least 4 private lessons over the Summer to work on the repertoire
3) Students must be able to attend at least 1 of the 2 rehearsals with the musicians. These rehearsals for each student will be approximately 20 min.
4) Repertoire will need to be chosen and approved no later than May 31.
Check out this clip from our 2016 Ensemble Showcase!
Summer Ensemble Programs 2023
Dates: June 5 - August 20, 2023
Registration Deadline: May 31, 2022
Rehearsals: Saturday August 12 & August 19, 2 PM - 5 PM
Summer Ensemble Showcase: 2:00 PM Sunday, August 20, 2023 at Timucua Performing Arts
* Students will sign up for a time slot to rehearse with the musicians. Each time slot will be approximately 20 min long. Students are required to participate in at least one rehearsal to perform in the Showcase.
Track 1: Jazz & Pop (Not offered summer 2023)
Students who participate in the Jazz & Pop Ensemble Program will get to work on music from old jazz classics to pop tunes heard on the radio today. They will learn how to navigate the more complex rhythm and chords of this type of music as well as try their hand at some improvising! Joining BSM students to form their Jazz Combo will be a drummer, bass guitarist, and trumpet player! NOTE: This track will NOT be offered Summer 2022.
Track 2: Chamber
The Chamber track will cater to students wanting to study classical music written for piano trio (piano, violin, and cello), various soundtrack and broadway arrangements, anything by the piano guys, or some pop tunes. BSM students will learn invaluable listening and timing skills and they learn to adapt and sync with the professional violinist and cellist that will be joining us for our rehearsals and final concert!